Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Pregnant Ashtangi

*This is a personal post from my own experience of being an Ashtanga practitioner and being pregnant. I don't want to generalize the subject as each practitioner have their own experience with their body, so Im speaking only about myself.


  Only God knows how is being mentally and physically difficult for me to be an Ashtanga practitioner and a pregnant woman at the same time. When I knew I was pregnant, my husband and I decided to give a break in my practice as Pattabhi Jois, Saraswathi and Sharath recommend for the first trimester of pregnancy. That is advised because the first three months are very delicate and hard movements as well overheating the body can cause miscarriages easily. I do know some women who practice Ashtanga and didn't stop their practice and they were fine. As I said before each person have their own opinions and I decided to follow the advice of my teachers, myself and family. Either way I continue with gentle stretches and teaching of course. The first 3 months and a half it was really hard and I think it was good to take a rest from my practice. I felt morning and night sickness. In the afternoons felt sleepy and tired. Now I'm in the 4th month and I feel better about being sick and I feel more energy in the mornings. I still feel suddenly sleepy, even more after when I eat something.
  Now Im welcoming the practice back into my routine. It's not being easy. I still feel lack of energy, I get tired quicker and even sleepy on the sitting positions or sometimes I suddenly feel hungry. Then I get a feeling that I'm not in control of my body anymore. But then I breath mindfully, I control my breath and then I calm my thoughts and my mind. I feel connected again with my body and deep inside I know its all temporary. I am where I am supposed to be.
  Every change is for the best and for us to learn something about ourselves.  I am a practitioner who strives for results and improvement. Im always thinking ways to achieve results in my practice. Now I just need to find ways to enjoy more my journey and improve my relationship to whatever is presented in the present moment. I think most of the Ashtanga practitioners are like that. If not wait until you can not practice the way you always do so you know better ;)We strive for results somehow, but then when we get an injury or something happens that is beyond our control like my pregnancy we are forced to step back and be mindful of every little step and movement of body and mind.
  Putting aside all the "negative"or not pleasant experiences of our new "temporary" practice there are positives as well.
1-Ego of course gets smashed and I feel much more humble.
2-I breath more mindfully because I want to send enough oxygen to the baby and I also want my mind and body to feel as calm as possible. So there is no rushing or forcing something to happen.
3- As a teacher I feel much more compassion and understanding for the students.
4-As a practitioner I learn that everything is temporary and impermanent. Attachment causes suffering. Liberation of all things is the goal of my practice. So not even to my practice I should feel attached or dependent to.

Some point along the years Ashtanga practitioners learn that does not matter how your practice looks like today, or in the past either how you think it will looks like in the future, we will continue to do it because this is the essence of the practice to just go and do it even if is just a few sun salutations.
Today it was half primary, tomorrow lets see whats happen. No expectation? Im working on that as well. Practice and all is coming.
Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment